ASG’s annual study found Nissan to embody exceptional environmental integrity along its production and distribution chains, as well as in the Nissan products themselves. Nissan’s environmental performance in ASG’s 2017 Study further validates the brands commitment to corporate social responsibility and environmental protection, earning Nissan the privileged distinction as ASG’s 2017 BEST ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE BRAND.
Four Nissan models earned recognition in ASG’s 2017 Study, including the Nissan Rogue, Pathfinder, Versa and Leaf.
ASG’ study also found Nissan vehicles delivering the best average environmental performance score and lowest forecasted carbon emissions across competitive vehicle classes, when compared against other brands in ASG's 2017 Study for North America.
ASG’s environmental performance assessment for the Nissan brand identified environmental commitments that exceed industry norms in 2017, as follows:
- Corporate Environmental Policy: managing corporation demonstrates the execution of an Environmental Management System (EMS) for all manufacturing facilities that meet the established industry standard. The benchmark industry standard is ISO 14001;
- Supplier Environmental Policy: managing corporation requires, at minimum, 80% of all tier one suppliers to demonstrate the execution of an environmental management system that meets the established industry standard, with aggressive goals to bring all suppliers up to this standard. The benchmark industry standard is ISO 14001;
- Sustainability Report: managing corporation publishes an annual corporate report consistent with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, or equivalent;
- Efficient & Sustainable Energy Supply Strategy: managing corporation commits to and measures for efficient and renewable energy use throughout product development;
- Efficient Water Supply Strategy: managing corporation commits to and measures for efficient and sustainable water use throughout product development;
- Air Quality: managing corporation measures air quality impacts from manufacturing processes and establishes aggressive goals to minimize emissions;
- Efficient Powertrains & Fuels: managing corporation incorporates efficient powertrains and alternative fuels in product offerings, including hybrid technologies;
- Commitment to Electromobility Development: managing corporation demonstrates a commitment to electromobility by aggressively developing an electric vehicle accessible to the average consumer;
- Zero Waste Facilities: managing corporation has landfill free manufacturing facilities on-line and is proceeding to convert all manufacturing facilities to zero waste; and
- Corporate Commitment to Biodiversity: managing corporation demonstrates a commitment to biodiversity through partnerships, land conservation efforts, wildlife protection and other.